Kick up leaves or cycle among trees - make your own autumn adventures across the North East.
Walking and cycling in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire is a great way to get out, get active and explore the beauty we have on our doorstep.
The crunch of leaves beneath you, cool, crisp air, and stunning autumn colours that bring another dimension to our already beautiful landscapes:
Remember: If you're out walking or cycling in reduced daylight or the evening, dress brightly to help other travellers spot you.
You don't have to dress head-to-toe in neon or high-viz (though we know a few who can rock that look!). But brightly colored jackets or clothing with reflective strips can help catch light and make you seen.
You can even buy reflective stickers to add to jackets (including cool shapes for kids) or LED bands to wear.
A bike ride in the brisk air followed by a hot drink and maybe a wee cake?! Sounds like a perfect autumn day trip!
Cycle Grampian has a fantastic collection of routes - whether you are interested in road, mountain or recreational cycling.
Cycling in Autumn
Whether you are cycling to commute or for recreation, as the daylight gets shorter, it is worth being prepared as the season changes. Here are some tips to handling two-wheels into the colder weather:
- Ensure you have working bike lights
- Have reflectors on your bike
- Wear high visibility or reflective clothing
- Be extra vigilant during times of low-sun as it can dazzle cyclists and other road users
- Dress in warm layers with waterproofs. Your hands and feet will feel the cold. You can buy overshoes and make sure that your gloves allow you enough movement for your breaks and gears.
- Consider wearing clear cycling glasses which can protect your eyes from wind & rain.
- Maintain that chain! Muddy puddles, leaves and wet surfaces - your bike and chain will likely need a good clean and some TLC after an Autumn ride.